Discover your passion for business
Find out how to discover your passion and build a product or service that people actually want to buy, and avoid over-investing in things that don’t actually matter, so you can kick-start your small business doing something you love.
“I was wondering if you had any good ideas for an Internet business that might be good for my partner and I to get into. Looking at running our own business and giving away our day job.
I think we are just a bit flat.. not passionate enough or confident enough about anything to feel like it’s ‘THE’ thing for us to do.
We do have a week’s holiday coming up at the beginning of the month to have real serious look. Perhaps we are just scared of putting ourselves out there so are self-sabotaging our ideas.”
Before you start
This tutorial is the first step in our three-part series:
- Discover your passion (this page!)
- Build your business by starting small
- Grow your business for success
Before you start
A lot of people think, “How can I create an Internet business?” but actually what people need to remember is there are a lot of business activities that are still happening outside of the Internet, why are you limiting yourself to an Internet business?
To find your passion in business, ask:
- What do you love doing?
You might love something, but are you good at it, are you better than other people?
- What are you good at?
It may not be the same as what you love doing! Would you do it all day, every day?
- What do people want?
Will people buy it from you, rather than an established competitor?
When you look at a lot of successful online businesses, most people didn’t invest their valuable time in building a brand, building a logo and creating a website BEFORE making their product. This is the wrong way to make an online business.
The best way to create a business (either in the real world, or online) is to:
- Discover your talents – the things you’re good at
- Create prototypes of products or services you would enjoy making or doing
- Ask your friends, colleagues or family for feedback – what would they change?
- Create the final product and ask your friends again – would they buy this?
- Then, once you know your product will actually sell in the real world, consider creating an online store or website – but only if needed, and only if you already have the customer base to make it successful
If you have created an online business or if you are running the business of your dreams, let us know how you did it and share your successes in the comments below!