Calculate Sigma levels and DPMO (Free Tool)
Using the Defect Per Million Opportunities (DPMO) tool, you can quickly calculate the current Sigma Levels of your product or business operations.
By understanding how many defects you have, you can understand the percentage of recalls, rework or fixes your customers experience.
This helps you better prioritise what needs to be resolved, so your business operations can run more smoothly.
Before you start
Learn about Six Sigma quality control tools and methods.
- Defects per million opportunities (DPMO)
the average number of defects per unit, divided by the number of opportunities to make a defect on the product, normalised to one million
What is a defect?
In Six Sigma, a defect could be any possible issue with the product that is important to your customer – i.e. something the customer will ask for a refund, return, replacement.
- Examples for products: Broken parts, incorrect colour or shape, etc
- Examples for processes: Incorrect spelling, unexpected delays, etc
To calculate your DPMO, you will need:
- The total number of units
How many products does the process produce?
- The number of potential defects (opportunities) that may occur per unit
For each product or unit, how many defects are possible during production?
- The actual number of defects that have occurred